Monday, February 15, 2010

The vagaries of being a tenant

I never learn! Somehow...! It's either me...! Or it's just stupid human nature... that we expect a little too much of our landlords to act as humans and not just some conniving old haggards looking out only to suck out some more money every time they come for a visit!

Trust is most productive and the relationship is supposed to be "fair"! However, in my experience I have rarely seen the relation to be anything less than confrontational. Hasty decisions, out-of -the -blue mails and most importantly, apathy is what I detest in these bloody money seekers! And to think of it all, tenants like us have been ever so careful with someone else's house, we didn't even punch one pin on the wall. And neither did we punch one picture of us in empty picture portraits hanging on the bland walls. It's said equal opportunity is an area which is yet to be developed in the area of tenant participation!!! Oh I'd say HA!

At times when you only want to help and save the house from breaking apart, his/her majesty thinks we are throwing tantrums!At times, when you wish to take the advice of the infamous landlord, the incumbent is only mortified by the number of unpleasant mails he has to deal with the next day! And lord forgive the moment if you have to meet him suddenly in the middle of nowhere, you are so dead for your dear life!

To have an out&out cruel landlord is one thing. But to have one of those shady sinister things, who lurks around the house, gives you sudden visits and without warnings catches a hair on the floor or an insignificant web which you hadn't seen till 2 minutes ago....is by far the most dangerous things in your life.

Not that my luck has been totally abysmal in the matter of finding good people as my lord/lady of the house. I myself am the the supposed landlady of my own house. And I have been tenants to very pleasing, least bothered owners who is just happy to give you their house to you so that you may take care of it. However, I doubt if such species are still present or extinct long back!

They say a background check is very essential when you take in a new tenant! I'd say get an entire lineage check done before you entire into someone else's house. You never know what madness lurks in those genes of that owner. Check it before you get hacked of your money and peace of mind!

After all, "Landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed."
Karl Marx

No comments: